Practical I Hotels in Wiesbaden
This Old spa centre is now one of Germany's most beautiful
conference centres. Emperor Wilhelm II asked Friedrich von Thiersch
to build a new Kurhaus in 1904-1907 for 6 million Goldmark. The new
spa had to replace the one that had been built by Christian Zais on
the same spot in 1810. The impressive ionic portal bears the
Wiesbaden town coat arms with the three lilies and the inscription
"Aquis Mattiacis" (the springs of the Mattiaci). The Kurhaus was
faithfully restored in 1987 and equiped with modern communication
Rathaus / Hessischer Landtag
The new town hall was constructed on the southeast side of the
Schlossplatz in 1884-1887 following a design by Georg von Hauberrisser.
The Neo-Renaissance facade was bombed in February 1945. The town hall
was rebuilt in 1951, but in a more sober version. In the stones in front
of the town hall one can see the Imperial Eagle with on both sides the
Nassau lions and the Wiesbaden lilies.
Hessisches Staatstheater ( Hesse State Theater )
This beautiful Neo-Baroque theatre is the venue of the
International May Festival. The Viennese architects Fellner and Helmer
built it for Emperor Wilhelm II in 1894. The splendid Foyer in Rococo
style was added in 1902.The Neo-Baroque theatre room in the Large House
contains 1.041 seats, whereas the Little House contains 328 and the
Studio 89 seats.
Russian Orthodox church
(or Greek Chapel)
Greek Chapel, with its 5 guilded onion shaped domes was built in 1847 -
1855 as a memorial church in Russian-Byzantine style. It contains the
tomb of the wife and child of Duke Adolf. Grandduchess Elisabeth
Michailovna was born in St. Petersburg and died soon after she gave
birth. The interior of the church is richly decorated with marble. The
correct name of this building is "Russian Church Wiesbaden". In the 19th
century, however, orthodox churches were always labeled "Greek
churches". The Russian-Orthodox community of Wiesbaden still uses this
churches for its services.
Schloss Biebrich (Biebrich Castle)
This magnificent Baroque mansion on the banks of the Rhine was built in
1700-1750. It was the residence of the princes (and later Dukes) of
Nassau.The rotunda and the galleries are now being used as
representational rooms for the President of the state of Hesse. The
castle is nowadays also used for other governmental and cultural
institutions and organisations. In the park of the castle the famous "
International Horsedriving Competition" is held.